English Elephant provides a range of online classes to support home educated children in their learning of English skills and progress towards gaining iGCSE qualifications in English.
Ideal for children who are home educated or families who have chosen to home educate.
- Small groups allow children to learn from eachother’s ideas and build confidence in their own.
- In the online classroom, children particpate in learning in a way that feels most comfortable for them. They can share their ideas publicly to the group or privately with Kim, the English Elephant English tutor. They can use webcam, or just listen in. It is completely their choice.
- Children learn from Kim, a qualified teacher and examiner – but in the comfort of their own home, making learning relaxed, friendly and flexible.
- Lessons are recorded and can be watched at a later date, allowing children to revisit teaching or catch up on missed lessons.
- Homework tasks are offered weekly; these are optional and families have a choice which they will complete.
- Optional end of term assessments can be completed. Kim, the English Elephant English tutor, will talk through the strengths and weaknesses of your child’s work and how to help them progress further within English.
Ten to twelve week course blocks allow home educating families the freedom to select short courses they are most interested in.
Classes are relaxed and informal. Recordings allow children to revisit any information or lessons missed.
Classes are charged at £8 per class, with course fees payable in either two half-termly instalments or one termly payment.
All online classes are taught by a qualified teacher and GCSE examiner with full DBS.
Re-enrolment week is the week before half term each term. At this point, if you wish to re-enrol, your first payment for the next term must be made. Any spare places will be advertised to new students.
For example, children studying in the Autumn term and wishing to continue in the Spring term will need to pay either the full £96 term fee or the first £48 half term fee in October to secure their place.
Re-enrolment dates are marked in blue on the calendar below.
What types of classes are available?
Key Stage 3 Group English Classes
Autumn 2020: COMING UP NEXT
How to Eat a Novel
- A 12 week series of lessons where children will guided through the skill of studying a novel.
- Children will be supported by Kim, the English Elephant English tutor, as they develop reading skills and learn how to analyse a novel.
Summer 2020 (currently teaching)
Shakespeare: gender and subversion in Shakespearian Comedies
- A 10 week series of lessons where the genre of Comedy is introduced and explored through a selection of Shakespeare plays. Children will be supported by Kim, the English Elephant English tutor, as they read, analyse and interpret Shakespeare’s language and use of conventions.
- Essay writing skills will be taught.
- A popular genre at GCSE, these group classes for home educated children make an effective introduction to the literature covered on some iGCSE specifications.
Speeches to Change the World
- A 12 week series of lessons where the form of speeches is studied. Children will be supported by Kim, the English Elephant English tutor, as they read, analyse and write about well known speeches – and they will learn to write effective speeches themsleves.
Gothic Poetry: analysis, introduction to essay writing and writing poetry
- A 12 week series of lessons where the genre of Gothic is introduced and explored through poetry. Children will be supported by Kim, the English Elephant English tutor, as they read, analyse and interpret poems while also refining their ability to write their own.
- A popular genre at GCSE, these group classes for home educated children make an effective introduction to the Gothic literature covered on some iGCSE specifications.
Newspapers: language and representation in the media
- A 10 week series of lessons looking at the conventions of the tabloid and broadsheet press. Children will be supported by Kim, the English Elephant English tutor, as they explore the power of language in creating and informing popular opinion – and learn to use language influentially themselves.
Key Stage 4 iGCSE courses
Online classes for Edexcel iGCSE English Language
- A two year course to cover Edexcel iGCSE English Language. Teaching will cover Specifications A and B skills and content.
- Options available for one year courses.
The above are examples of the online group classes offered by English Elephant. If you have any specific needs or queries, please feel free to contact English Elephant directly.
Friendly, supportive relationships
Kim, the English Elephant English tutor, will create a positive, friendly and supportive environment for your child to learn within.
Equally, parents are supported and listened to; you will be able to speak directly with Kim if you have any ideas, questions or concerns. Crucially, when it comes to your child, you are the expert.