English Elephant provides a range of online classes to support home educated children in their learning of English skills and progress towards gaining iGCSE qualifications in English.
Ideal for children who are home educated or families who have chosen to home educate.
- Small groups allow children to learn from eachother’s ideas and build confidence in their own.
- In the online classroom, children particpate in learning in a way that feels most comfortable for them. They can share their ideas publicly to the group or privately with their English tutor. They can use webcam, or just listen in. It is completely their choice.
- Children learn from a qualified teacher – but in the comfort of their own home, making learning relaxed, friendly and flexible.
- Lessons are recorded and can be watched at a later date, allowing children to revisit teaching or catch up on missed lessons.
- Homework tasks are offered weekly; these are optional and families have a choice which they will complete.
- Optional end of term assessments can be completed. Your English tutor will talk through the strengths and weaknesses of your child’s work and how to help them progress further within English.
Ten to twelve week course blocks allow home educating families the freedom to select short courses they are most interested in.
Classes are relaxed and informal. Recordings allow children to revisit any information or lessons missed.
Classes are charged at £8 per class, with course fees payable in either two half-termly instalments or one termly payment.
All online classes are taught by a qualified teacher and GCSE examiner with full DBS.
Re-enrolment week is the week before half term each term. At this point, if you wish to re-enrol, your first payment for the next term must be made. Any spare places will be advertised to new students.
For example, children studying in the Autumn term and wishing to continue in the Spring term will need to pay either the full £96 term fee or the first £48 half term fee in October to secure their place.
Re-enrolment dates are marked in blue on the calendar below.
What types of classes are available?
Key Stage 3 Group English Classes
Newspapers: language and representation in the media
- A series of lessons looking at the conventions of the tabloid and broadsheet press. Children will be supported by their English tutor as they explore the power of language in creating and informing popular opinion – and learn to use language influentially themselves.
Gothic Poetry: analysis, introduction to essay writing and writing poetry
- A series of lessons where the genre of Gothic is introduced and explored through poetry. Children will be supported by their English tutor as they read, analyse and interpret poems while also refining their ability to write their own. A popular genre at GCSE, these group classes for home educated children make an effective introduction to the Gothic literature covered on some iGCSE specifications.
Shakespeare: gender and subversion in Shakespearian Comedies
- A series of lessons where the genre of Comedy is introduced and explored through a selection of Shakespeare plays. Children will be supported by their English tutor as they read, analyse and interpret Shakespeare’s language and use of conventions. A popular genre at GCSE, these group classes for home educated children make an effective introduction to the literature covered on some iGCSE specifications.
Key Stage 4 iGCSE courses
Online classes for Edexcel iGCSE English Language
- A two year course to cover Edexcel iGCSE English Language. Teaching will cover Specifications A and B skills and content.
- Options available for one year courses.
Online classes for Edexcel iGCSE English Literature
- A two year course to cover Edexcel iGCSE English Literature.
- Texts studied will include ‘Of Mice and Men’ by John Steinbeck, ‘An Inspector Calls’ by J. B. Priestley, ‘Macbeth’ by William Shakespeare and an anthology of poetry.
- You will need to purchase copies of these texts, all other course material will be supplied electronically.
Online classes for Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4
These classes cover English skills which are needed by all students of English.
The building blocks of writing: punctuation for accuracy and effect
- A series of lessons where punctuation rules and effects are discussed. Children will be supported by their English tutor as they learn how to use a variety of punctuation and sentence structures accurately and for effect.
- You and your child can choose to complete an optional weekly homework task set by your English tutor.
- You and your child can choose to complete an end of term assessment on the topic. Following this, key areas for development will be highlighted by your tutor to support your child in their on-going English education at home.
- All classes are taught by a qualified teacher and examiner.
The building blocks of writing: vocabulary and its evolution
- A series of lessons where vocabulary takes centre stage. Children will be supported by their English tutor as they broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand unfamiliar new words. Lessons will include an introduction to etymology and morphology which will support spelling skills and introduce the historical evolution of the English Language.
The above are examples of the online group classes offered by English Elephant. If you have any specific needs or queries, please feel free to contact English Elephant directly.
Friendly, supportive relationships
Your tutor will create a positive, friendly and supportive environment for your child to learn within.
Equally, parents are supported and listened to; you will be able to speak directly with your tutor if you have any ideas, questions or concerns. Crucially, when it comes to your child, you are the expert.